Friday, March 4, 2011

RIP G

People often ask me, what does D do for a living? And I always have to pause a bit before I tell them… Um, Rocket Scientist. And needless to say they are surprised. If they’ve known me since before D and I dated then they known the endless amount of losers that I’ve dated- unemployed actors/writers/models, stunt men, professional jet skiers, bartenders even a stripper (though at the time I didn’t know that was what he did for a living!). Though if they are newer acquaintances they still are equally surprised because I’m not quite the girl you would imagine a rocket scientist with… for one I’m a typical Californian blonde. And I don’t mean that as an insult to blondes but we all know what a reputation us blondes get. Add to that the fact I’m more of a free spirit, I work in film and TV, I love yoga and surfing way too much, I’m always into every latest green crazy or organic diet frenzy. And without doubt if you see me I will always have a hair out of place, a snag on my clothes and of course a stain somewhere! Nothing that would scream Rocket Scientist Material… but for us it somehow works. Of course D is always reminding me he’s not exactly a Rocket Scientist; he’s an Aerospace Engineer… well Google that term and up comes Rocket Scientist. And last week I got to experience just how, for lack of better words, awesome he really is. I was able to attend a Rocket launch for an environmental satellite that he built, G.

We got to attend a NASA briefing where I actually was able to know what this project was that he worked on, most of his projects I can’t know more of what he’s doing than what time he goes to work and comes home! We were able to attend a reception (IE Free Drinks!) in honor of the launch, and even got to see a slideshow that had pictures of him building the satellite, and in his Spacesuit (HOT!). And we finally got to wait in a uber cold field at 2 in the morning waiting for the launch… sadly there was a communication problem with the Rocket and we didn’t get to witness the launch. It was postponed till today… and even sadder I have to report to this morning’s launch didn’t go to well and that poor G is now swimming in the South Pacific. Luckily the problems were nothing to do with the satellite, but the actual rocket. So in this instance it is good he was not the actual Rocket Scientist that I believe him to be… though still sad that his work will not get to go into space. But even if G didn’t make it into orbit, it’s still pretty neat that this is what my boyfriend does… And something that makes me unbelievably proud of him! And maybe there was no launch last week when we were there, but we did get a romantic 2 days away, a cheesy B&B and a day to just bum around Santa Barbara! Doesn’t take a Rocket Scientist to figure out just how perfect that was…

No comments:

Post a Comment